How to Find a Registered Agent in Montana (Step-by-Step Guide)

Avatar photo
by Team
Last updated: June 13th, 2024
We might receive compensation from the companies whose products we review. We are independently owned and the opinions here are our own.

Northwest Registered Agent will scan all documents you receive for your business so that you can easily see them in your online account. There, you’ll have unlimited cloud storage as well as strong business data protection, and help from their friendly customer service staff when you need it. First year is free (plus state fees), then $39/year (plus state fees).

See the full Northwest review here

The focus of ZenBusiness is on forming new companies. They help simplify the process of starting a business, using powerful online tools. ZenBusiness plans are ongoing and help customers grow their businesses. They provide many services and resources, and can also help connect entrepreneurs to other relevant services.

See the full ZenBusiness review here

Jump to

Montana registered agent requirements

The State of Montana does not charge any fees for registered agents. At the same time, there are some requirements that must be met. They are as follows.

Being your own registered agent

When it comes to acting as your own registered agent (or appointing another individual as a registered agent), keep in mind that meeting the following criteria is mandatory. An individual registered agent must:

  • Be over the age of 18
  • Be a Montana resident
  • Have a physical address in Montana (this cannot be a P.O. box address)
  • Be reliably at this business address all week during normal business hours
  • Accept appointment as your registered agent
  • Receive official paperwork and legal service documents on your business’s behalf

Hiring a Montana registered agent service

Of course, business entities can be registered agents too. In fact, this is a popular way of choosing a registered agent.

Many larger corporations tend to go with commercial registered agents because they can handle larger amounts of paperwork and have offices in multiple states. They make it easy to grow your company and expand to other parts of the country.

Commercial registered agent companies must meet the following requirements. They must:

  • Be registered to do business in Montana
  • Have a physical address in Montana (this cannot be a P.O. box address)
  • Be reliably at this business address all week during normal business hours
  • Accept appointment as your registered agent
  • Receive official paperwork and legal service documents on your business’s behalf

Why use a registered agent service

Interested in using a registered agent service but not sure if it’s the right choice for your company?

Many Montana businesses opt to hire a registered agent service company over themselves or another individual when it comes to selecting a registered agent. Here are several reasons to consider this option:

  • You’ll avoid the risk of non-compliance.

For all Montana businesses, remaining in good standing with the state is of the utmost importance. But compliance requirements can be complex and time-consuming. It’s better to hand this responsibility over to your registered agent company.

  • You can keep expanding your business.

Most LLCs and corporations would like to grow year by year. As you grow, you may end up offering your goods or services to customers and clients in other states.

If you do this, however, you’ll need to have a registered agent in every state where you operate. Doing this state-by-state is laborious and unnecessary. Simply hire a registered agent company who can handle your foreign qualification in other states for you.

  • You can use your registered agent’s address for public listings.

One of the top benefits of using a registered agent company is using their address in public listings with the state. All registered agent addresses need to be on the public record. You don’t want your home address on the public record for privacy reasons, however, so it’s better to hire this position out.

  • You’ll increase the time you can spend on your business.

Don’t waste all your time taking care of registered agent services for your LLC or corporation. Instead, have a registered agent company take on these responsibilities for you.

Montana registered agent costs

Generally speaking, registered agent companies in Montana charge around $50-$300 annually for their services.

You can opt for only the basic registered agent services, and these are generally not too expensive — even for small businesses and entrepreneurs. Or, there are often bells and whistles that can be purchased along with the basics as well. If you want those, you should expect to be charged on the higher end of the $50 to $300 range.

Another option is to be your own registered agent. If you choose this option (or if you hire a friend, coworker, or relative), you do not have to pay any fees. The State of Montana does not charge fees for registered agents.

How to change a registered agent in Montana

You can change your registered agent in Montana by filing the necessary paperwork with the Montana Secretary of State’s office. There are two ways to file: the “slow way” with one-day service or the “fast way” with one-hour processing. Both options come with a filing fee, which you can pay by credit card.

  • Be sure to notify your old registered agent that you’ll be hiring a new registered agent company or transferring the position to yourself or another individual.
  • You will want to get copies of all documents and paperwork that your old registered agent has in their possession.
  • The document you’ll need to fill out in order to change your registered agent in Montana is called a Statement of Change of Registered Agent form. Once you have the form, complete it in full, being sure to complete the contact section with your new registered office address. Include the filing fee, and submit everything to the Montana Secretary of State’s office.

In some cases, registered agent companies will complete all of this paperwork for you and pay the change of agent filing fee as well.

Why you need a registered agent

If you plan on incorporating your business in Montana, you need to know about the role of registered agent — also known as a statutory agent or resident agent. Montana state law dictates that all LLCs and corporations have to have a registered agent.

Your registered agent will be the most important point of contact at your place of business when it comes to receiving important correspondence from the state (plus other legal notices and service of process). That’s because your registered agent’s address will be your business’s official address.

This will be where the state, the court system, and other legal entities will direct all of their mail and paperwork. Your registered agent will then forward these documents and notifications to you so that you can act on them right away. Important documents like these are always of a time-sensitive nature.

When you need a registered agent

You will need a registered agent right away when filing to incorporate your new Montana LLC (limited liability company) or corporation. No matter what type of business you plan to incorporate, a registered agent is necessary.

You will fill out your registered agent’s contact information on your Articles of Incorporation document. Also called Articles of Organization, your Articles of Incorporation are integral for the formation of your business in Montana.

In fact, before choosing a registered agent and listing them on this document, you will first need to fill out your new business name. Choosing a business name can be fun, but it’s also a serious process. The State of Montana has strict business naming requirements that must be followed.

You must make sure that no other business has taken the name you want for your company. So, performing name searches on your desired names is essential.

After you have chosen a name and chosen your registered agent, you will need to carry out other steps such as obtaining an EIN or employer identification number, choosing your Board of Directors and holding your first board meeting, outlining your Corporate Bylaws, and more.

Useful links

Use the links listed below to choose the right registered agent for you and successfully complete the incorporation process in Montana.


What is a registered agent and why do I need one?

A registered agent is a company or person that has been designated to accept important tax and legal correspondence on behalf of your business. You need to have a registered agent for your business. It is an important part of registering your business with the state as an LLC or corporation.

Does Montana require a registered agent?

Yes, the state of Montana requires that all LLCs and corporations have a registered agent. You will need to choose a registered agent and supply their contact information when filling out your Articles of Organization or Articles of Incorporation (formation documents) during the incorporation process.

How do I hire a registered agent in Montana?

You simply need to contact a commercial registered agent company if you’d like to hire them to be your registered agent in Montana. If you want to be your own registered agent, simply put your contact information on this part of your Articles of Incorporation documents when incorporating your business.

How much is a registered agent in Montana?

If you decide to go with a commercial registered agent company, most companies charge between $50 and $300 every year for their services. This amount will usually vary depending on whether you would like additional services through the company. Being your own registered agent is free.

Why should I use a commercial registered agent service?

When you incorporate your business in the State of Montana, you have a choice between hiring an individual to be your registered agent and hiring a commercial registered agent company. Most LLCs and corporations go with a commercial company because they offer more benefits such as better privacy, more flexibility, and affordable prices.

Find the best registered agent in your state

Click below to get started